[Koha-devel] 3.8.4 interim [was: koha-zebra-daemon not starting]

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Mon Aug 27 15:36:48 CEST 2012

At 10:45 AM 8/27/2012 +0200, Robin Sheat wrote:
>Op 25-08-12 03:22, Paul schreef:
> > However, I have (after asking our staff to try it out), got a very weird
> > dilemma: from the new test machine, all NEW records (biblios and items,
> > both Z39.50 imports and manual entries) are saving to our *PRODUCTION*
> > server (3.6.1) -- all EDITS of existing biblios/items are saving
> > correctly to the *TEST* server (3.8.4).

Robin - thanks.  It's all a bit moot now as the test server has been
successfully (and totally) rebuilt (using the new " .1 " version of the
ISO, see my email to this list yesterday Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:39:27 -0400), but:

>Can you confirm that you are checking both search results and details?

['are' ==> 'was'] yes

>I'm wondering if both instances are pointing to the same zebra server.

This was not a case of sebra|search, the records were being *saved* to a
differently named mysql/innodb on a differently IP'd machine. After saving
a new Z39.50 biblio on the test server and shutting it down, the new record
was on the production server and found by the zebra on the production
server. I'm pretty certain from all my notes that both servers had separate
zebra servers indexing separate sql db's.

I even went as far as shutdown -h of the production server; 3.8.4 on the
test server still appeared (i.e. no errors) to save new records, but they
went nowhere -- and could not be found by either zebra server on either the
production (after restarting) or the test box.

While it's quite possible I screwed something up, the new LTS distro has
made a number of fundamental changes concerning 'cloud' networking
(OpenStack, MAAS, Keystone) which just possibly could have had some impact
on our LAN (I have no proof of this, and our static IP LAN seems perfect
after numerous "every-which-way" verifications.) Also, the older distro had
a few ugly points in handling i386 modules if it couldn't find AMD64, but
again, I could find no reason for this to account for my dilemma.

Again thanks and br,
Paul