[Koha-devel] Solr integration and kaizen (bug 7430)

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Tue Jan 10 00:57:12 CET 2012

Good time of day!

In an effort to help myself understand the issues that are facing the solr
integration project, I have written a proof-of-concept patch for bug 7430
that moves ModZebra out of C4::Biblio into Koha::Search::Engine*. Let me
repeat that. This is a proof-of-concept. I may or may not continue working
on it, depending on whether the mood takes me at a moment when I have free
time for playing. However, I wanted to point it out so that people could
look at it, think about it, and maybe discuss it, if anyone had anything
they wanted to discuss. Without further ado, the commit message follows.

This proof-of-concept commit does the following:
* Moves all the functionality from C4::Biblio::ModZebra into a new
  Koha::Search::Engine namespace, breaking it up into Zebra and NoZebra
  classes for the relevant sections.
* Rather than calling ModZebra, callers should now use Koha::Search and
  call AddToIndexQueue() with the same arguments.
* Creates a new Koha::Utils class with GetMarcFromKohaField and GetAuthType
  methods, in an attempt to begin the process of reducing circular
dependencies
* Adds a syspref SearchEngine to specify whether Zebra or NoZebra is to be
  used, based on the setting of NoZebra. This syspref is checked *only*
  in ModZebra replacement code. The NoZebra is still relied upon by *all
other*
  search-related code.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The syspref is added by the atomicupdate in
installer/data/mysql/atomicupdate/bug_7430_add_searchengine_syspref

IMPORTANT NOTE: NoZebra indexing is currently broken due to the lack of a
get_auth_type_location() method that can be used by the
Koha::Search::Engine::NoZebra class.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This patch depends on the patches for bug 7284.

One point on that last important note: the patch for bug 7284 centralizes
calls to GetAuthType, but it has no functional relation to bug 7430, and it
would be easy enough to cherry-pick this patch onto Master by simply
removing the merge conflict, if anyone cared.

Also, possibly the key question: anyone have any ideas on dealing with
get_auth_type_location() so that NoZebra could go back to working as well
as it ever has in recent memory?

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/