[Koha-devel] stocknumber and invertory books in Koha

Dobrica Pavlinusic dpavlin at rot13.org
Wed Jan 18 19:10:15 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 03:51:06PM +0100, Zeno Tajoli wrote:
> Il 18/01/2012 07:20, Chris Cormack ha scritto:
> > I think Zeno didn't mean technically impossible to provide uniqueness at
> > the DB level, just that lots of libraries do not want unique stock
> > numbers, so enforcing it at db level (with a unique constraint isn't
> > possible in Koha).
> >
> > Enforcing it in the code, as you have done, with the caveat that it
> > needs to be controlled by a syspref so that those who want it unique or
> > not can both be satisfied is certainly possibly
>
> sorry for delay, but Chris writes exactly what I means.
> The problem is that is not possible to enforce unique stock
> numbers at db level (like barcode).

Sorry, I was probably too much into code that day :-)

> BUT I like very much the idea to give the option to enforce it at code
> level, with a syspref to swith ON/OFF.

Chris, do we allready have some mechanisam to enforce uniqueness at code
level for fields in MARC or items table?

I'm asking this because we are mostly dropping MySQL errors on the floor
as opposed to returning errors to users (adding items in acquisition is
my current example of this) so enforcing it with unique index on
database field is not really a solution...

> For Dobrica:
> Can you write the translation of 'signatura zatvorenog spremista' and
> 'Implementirati višestruke nizove signatura prema formatu'.
> from:
> http://git.rot13.org/?p=koha.git;a=commitdiff;h=01580945128cb727a404249c7898e6d101f10ceb
>
> Google translate doesn't help.

We have closed stocks on basement level in our library where
shelfing system and callnumbers are based on physical dymensions of
items (prefix in callnumber).

In next iteration of this, I will probably also rewrite this plugin to
use AJAX instread of mysql functions. This will make it database
independent, and mysqldump doesn't drop function by defaults (and flag
is called --routines just to be confusing), so backups are also tricky
(and reson to abondon mysql functions).

--
Dobrica Pavlinusic               2share!2flame            dpavlin at rot13.org
Unix addict. Internet consultant.             http://www.rot13.org/~dpavlin