[Koha-devel] QAing patches [was Re: Signing-off a patch for a customer]

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Wed Jul 4 13:47:31 CEST 2012

Le 29/05/2012 17:12, Ian Walls a écrit :
> I strongly believe that having a 'neutral party' to do the QA work is
> essential to keeping our codebase strong and healthy.  We need the fresh
> set of eyes, the different perspective, the alternate use case.  We need
> someone asking "what does it break?", and I don't think the folks who've
> been asking the question "does it work?" are the best suited to that task.
Reviving this thread...

I think this thread became 2:
- signing-of a patch in the name of a customer => this proposition seems
to be globally accepted (yes = marc_b, nicole, dobrica, kyle, Marcel.
jared also said yes I think (From - Mon May 28 17:50:13 2012) no = I
can't find anyone saying 'no': chris_n and katrin expressed some
concerns, but they were related to having a company writing &
signing-off a patch, which is not what I requested). Is there anyone
wanting to say a "no", and argue why ?

- QAing a patch => I think this topic need more discussion= who
could/should QA a patch, how should it be done ?
I think it's not a matter of 'neutral party', but more a matter of
'experienced and trust-able party'.
Seeing if it can break something requires a lot of experience with Koha
code source. When I QA code from BibLibre, I'm not biaised because it
comes from BibLibre.
Because if it introduces silently something that could break another
thing even if it works under certain circumstances, passing QA would be
a short-term vision.
My goal (and all QA team goal) is to manage Koha improvement(s) on the
long term.

Should we, then, give a grant to some specific, experienced & trustable
ppl to QA ? this has my preference, I throw it now.

That it's how some Open-Source communities are working. For example, the
eclipse foundation has "contributors" and "committers". I see committers
as a rough equivalent or our QA team
(http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/development_process_2011.php#4_7_Committers_and_Contributors)

--
Paul POULAIN