[Koha-devel] QAing patches [was Re: Signing-off a patch for a customer]

Ian Walls koha.sekjal at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 19:08:20 CEST 2012

Points:

1.  Yes, I believe it's okay for someone to do the action of sign off for
someone who is not technically inclined or does not have access to Git,
provided the person doing the signoff has verifiable permission from the
person who's name it is they are using.  It would primarily be on the
person who's name is being used to raise an alarm if their rights are being
infringed, but if anyone in the community feels this is the case, they are
welcome to question the proxy-signoffer (hopefully in a tactful, respectful
manner).

2.  Checking code to see if it breaks anything requires a keen eye and
plenty of experience with Koha, as the codebase is very complex, having
grown organically over time.  The longer you've been involved with the
code, the better the chance you have encountered some of the various
idiosyncrasies before.  There are a number of folks who fit this bill, and
we're very luck to having them writing, testing and signing off.

I think, however, we need to keep the QA team as elected.  The election of
folks to QAM and QAA is the community's way of showing faith and trust in
those people.  Appointing people, or opening the position to take all
comers, will erode some of the distinct value that QA provides, reducing it
in many ways to a second signoff.

I believe (and I think the statistics would back me up, if they could be
generated) that having had QA for the two previous releases, and this
current one, has reduced the number of regressions and bugs slipping in
from release to release.  I would be very interested in seeing hard numbers
on that, though.

Cheers,

-Ian