[Koha-devel] Koha on Ubuntu LTS

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Sun Jul 29 21:51:55 CEST 2012

If you look carefully you will note that it is cron not Koha trying to use the mta. Which you don't have (or haven't configured)

This is a much lower level OS thing, looks like you have mucked up your cron set up. Note not the koha cron jobs, but cron itself.

You will want to fix that.

Chris

Paul <paul.a at aandc.org> wrote:

At 06:30 PM 7/28/2012 -0400, Jared Camins-Esakov wrote:
>[snip]
>Did you try rerunning updatedatabase?

Many thanks for the reply. Yes, but I ran
paul at server2:/usr/share/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/installer/data/mysql$ perl -I
updatedatabase.pl overnight - it only took a few minutes when initiated by
Koha after the install. If I've made an error, could you please assist with
the syntax?

Also, Chris N. suggested "Also double check to be sure that OpacMaintenance
did not get set somehow" -- it was set (not sure how - I didn't even
realize that this preference existed) and now the OPAC is up and running.
Thanks Chris.

>The instructions all assume a user crontab. If you are using
>/etc/cron.d/koha, you should not be using the user crontab (as all the
>instructions assume), or you could do things vice versa.

Hidden in a corner under the name 'root' I finally found it, and the cron
is now working perfectly (except 'mail', see below). For the archives:

$ cd /var/spool/cron
$ sudo chmod 755 crontabs
$ sudo vi root
[change 5 mins to 1 min]
:x
$ cd ..
$ sudo chmod 1770 crontabs

>So, remove nullmailer. nullmailer needs to be configured appropriately if
>you are using it.

Done, and get (once a minute) syslog entries:
Jul 29 13:38:01 server2 CRON[1854]: (CRON) info (No MTA installed,
discarding output)

which was why I was asking if there was an easy way of "turning it off" in
Koha (I've looked unsuccessfully for a global O/S method to turn off
"warnings) - I don't need an email every minute, 24/7 :-} -- and I'd like
to reinstall nullmailer to verify all the "wanted" patron emails (no
intention of installing sendmail on this sandbox; on the production server
I've got sendmail to selectively dev/null unwanted messages.)

Many thanks all around. I'll continue comparing this to our production
box, and get some of our cataloguers to have a look over the next few
days. As and when we come up with more bits and pieces, I'll have a look
at helping with the Wiki page -- Tomas, I see that you have done all the
editing, but have a blank "talk" page. Would you prefer to email (either
on- or off-list) or use the "talk page"?

Regards -- Paul