[Koha-devel] Koha on Ubuntu LTS

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Mon Jul 30 00:51:31 CEST 2012

At 07:51 AM 7/30/2012 +1200, Chris Cormack wrote:
>If you look carefully you will note that it is cron not Koha trying to use
>the mta. Which you don't have (or haven't configured)
>
>This is a much lower level OS thing, looks like you have mucked up your
>cron set up. Note not the koha cron jobs, but cron itself.
>
>You will want to fix that.

Thanks for the reply.  OK - so I (wrongly?) bypassed crontab when I found
that Ubuntu|Koha|me had created 'root' in /var/spool/cron/crontabs.

The reason I'me in some doubt about whether it was Koha or me that
originally created the file, is that this is the only line that started
with '*/5 * *' (the Koha default from all documents that I've seen) and
that I always use '5 * *' (or whatever value I want - one minute for Zebra
from experience on our production server.)

Also, user koha is not in the sudoers file, so cannot use crontab
-e.  Maybe Makefile.PL (or one of the other scripts that it calls) put it
there during the time that Makefile was running as user paul (root
privileges)?

If I use crontab -e (just tried it), vi writes to a
"/tmp/crontab.gCZpqN/crontab" which Ubuntu then moves to
/var/spool/cron/crontabs/root -- not to /etc/cron.d or anywhere else.

I checked our production server (Ubuntu 11.10, Koha 3.6.1) and found
exactly the same set up in /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root:

         # Env Vars Necessary for running KOHA related Cron jobs
         PERL5LIB = /usr/share/koha/lib
         KOHA_CONF = /etc/koha/koha-conf.xml
         KOHA_CRON_PATH = /usr/share/koha/bin/cronjobs

         # ** KOHA **
         # ZEBRA INDEX UPDATES incremental index updates throughout
         # the day for both authorities and bibs : -z means incremental
         # Checking for new/deleted records every: 1 MINUTE
         1 * * * *  perl -I $PERL5LIB
$KOHA_CRON_PATH/../migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -b -a -z >/dev/null 2>&1
         #nightly
         0 0 * * * perl -I $PERL5LIB
$KOHA_CRON_PATH/../migration_tools/merge_authority.pl -n -b >/dev/null 2>&1
         # is this a duplicate cron job? see
/usr/share/koha/bin/cronjobs/crontab
         # This is my sanity check
         # * * * * *  date > ~/date.txt

Note the last three lines! I had obviously struggled with the same thought
that you express here "looks like you have mucked up your cron set up"

But it works ... as do all the other @hourly, @boot, etc.  Ubuntu
specific?  I jumped from Slackware to Ubuntu more than 5 years ago, and do
not have enough knowledge of other modern Linux o/s's

Best - Paul