[Koha-devel] About IRC meeting & voting

Mirko 5p4m at gmx.de
Thu Jun 14 10:36:14 CEST 2012

Good morning,

schrieb Paul Poulain am 14.06.2012 09:51:
> Hello world,
>
> Sorry for missing yesterday IRC meeting, but after 10 days away from
> home, my family needed me (and it was 8PM here !)
>
> During the meeting, Owen said, as a joke:
> oleonard> 24-hour meeting, votes ever hour, day-end averages win.
>
> but i'm not sure it should be a joke: there is always someone sleeping
> or (wanting to) during the IRC meeting.
> So shouldn't we vote not during IRC meeting, but just confirm the vote,
> that is made during a period before the IRC meeting, on an other tool,
> like wiki, gdoc, yell +1 / 0 / -1 on the mailing list, a tool like
> http://www.ballotbin.com/ (untested, just found it in google) or
> whatever you want.

+1 for changing to a voting period. We are a community within a lot
of different timezones, everybody should have the chance to vote.

But please let us not outsource this to a service we don't control
ourselves. ballotbin.com requires an account, voteer.com uses
googleapis etc. I suppose there won't be millions of votes suddenly,
so the wiki or mailinglist should be enough for now, or someone sets
up a fancy, privacy unintrusive tool on a server we control.

With the IRC meeting, you have people actually attending, talking to
each other and have a discussion. I think that is very important,
but we could have the discussions on the mailing list too I guess.

I vote strongly against some clicky tool where you just make an 'X'
somewhere and that's it. It would be nice to know who the people are
that vote for something (and that they are real people and no bots).

> I think that would also help more people being involved: attending an
> IRC meeting is, for some, a too high barrier (in France, there's a
> barrier with the language, for example).

To attend an IRC meeting, you have to open the webchat applet, say
"hi", "#info $your_name" and then you can vote. I think it is easier
than joining the mailing list or registering for the wiki, isn't it?