[Koha-devel] About IRC meeting & voting

Ian Walls koha.sekjal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 15:22:02 CEST 2012

I think we've got two issues here to resolve here:

   1. some kind of asynchronous voting mechanism.  We need to be able to
   create arbitrarily many issues to vote on, with set opening and closing
   datetimes.  We also need some kind of mechanism for preventing spam or
   other abuse.  Personally, I think such a mechanism should be voter
   registration (hence 2).
   2. A database of Koha community members.  This would been to be VERY low
   entry, because we don't want to exclude anyone, and it should track only
   the most minimal information about folks (name and email), with an option
   to add more detail if a person chooses.  One advantage of having this as a
   separate data pool is that we can access it over LDAP, Shibboleth or
   whatever other authentication means we like.  We'd have something that we
   could test our authentication against, as well as a consistent
   username/password across all the authenticated resources we have.

I think I've brought up the need for a People database in the past, and
there are definitely privacy and accessibility concerns we've got to
address.  I was just reading how meritocracies can often turn into
oligarchies (
http://boingboing.net/2012/06/13/meritocracies-become-oligarchi.html), and
while I'm not saying that this necessarily applies to the Koha community,
it's a pattern I think we should be aware of.  Any kind of community users
database would need to be done in such a way that new users can join it
quickly and easily.

Cheers,

-Ian