[Koha-devel] using CHI directly to use all of it's advantages

Marc Balmer marc at msys.ch
Fri Jun 15 12:02:43 CEST 2012

Am 15.06.12 11:32, schrieb Dobrica Pavlinusic:

[...]

>> P.S. If we need to replace the SQL query cache with a local cache, doesn't
>> this mean we're doing it wrong?
>
> Sure, but it's low-hanging fruit, and this is currently a huge
> show-stopper if you want to have MySQL on another machine since network
> latency is killing our performance.

Actually, when putting the database on a separate machine, the
performance should increase, not decrease, because the load is distributed.

As is, Koha does not scale, since it only runs performant when
everything is one the same machine.

I think an analysis of which SQL statements are executed in which order,
and which are called repeatedly, could be the basis of work to make Koha
talk more efficiently to the database.

To those interested in this, I can higly recommend "Refactoring SQL
Applications" by Stéphane Faroult.  Available from O'Reilly in print and
as e-book.

- Marc