[Koha-devel] 2 duplicated commits in the kc.org repo, on master branch ?

Colin Campbell colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com
Thu Mar 15 15:57:35 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 08:53:46AM -0400, Chris Nighswonger wrote:
> A fetch and rebase work fine here. As I mentioned previously, there are any
> number of duplicate commits in the main repo at present. I think they occur
> during merges. I'm not sure that Paul can "fix" it. I am sure that if it
> was causing wide spread pain, we'd have heard quite a cry by now. :-)
"Fixing" it will however cause pain for anyone trying to track that
branch. Rewriting history in published branches is always a cause for
grief. The duplicates occur when two branches with the same commit but
different histories are merged. Part of the commit is not just the
changes but what the parent commit is. Keeping topic branches small and
rebasing them  against master before merging into master allows the merges to be
fast-forwards and helps against generating effectively duplicate
commits.

Colin

--
Colin Campbell