[Koha-devel] dselect non-funcitonal on Ubuntu

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Oct 2 01:19:43 CEST 2012

"Mark Tompsett" <mtompset at hotmail.com>
> >  I feel this is a big issue: we shouldn't be encouraging people in bad
> > security habits, like to run random scripts as root or let them sudo.
>
> You did a koha install WITHOUT using sudo or logging in as root?
> How did you configure apache, mysql, and the hundreds of perl
> dependencies?

Apache was configured through some control panel (ispconfig maybe?)
and the sysadmin was happy enough to configure mysql to utf-8 which
was all that was needed back then.  Perl dependencies weren't fun,
but cpan shell supports PREFIX installs, then you just add a bit to
the SetEnv PERL5LIB in the Apache config.

[...]
> Take a look at bug 8840. I think this script could be generalized to include
> Debian. However, since the problem was Ubuntu, and not Debian, we didn't.

It's OK but I agree it does seem to be rather Ubuntu-specific at the mo.

By the way (looking at the other replies), I think it is apt-get that
is breaking, as "sudo dselect install" and "sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade"
are the same thing.  So if this multiarch bug isn't fixed in the OS,
it may bite us later no matter what we do.

Regards,