[Koha-devel] dselect non-funcitonal on Ubuntu

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 2 04:33:26 CEST 2012

Greetings,

The “good” thing about this bug is that it only affects people who do git or tarball installs in a multi-arch environment. That is, it affects us as developers, not really the average user of Koha who has hopefully been transitioned to a package install.

With bug 8840, instead of writing:

$ sudo apt-get install dselect
$ sudo dpkg --set-selections < install_misc/ubuntu.packages
$ sudo dselect

The instructions would look more like (it will look prettier, promise):

$ ./install_misc/ubuntu-packages.sh  -ic
[ output trimmed, but copy the apt-get install command to the command line ]
$ sudo apt-get install ...

If we generalized the script to work with Debian, we could change the name again to just: check-packages.sh
Generalizing to work with Debian wouldn’t be too difficult.
apt-get should already support multi-architecture, as there is a configuration option and file somewhere (sorry, forgot where and haven’t started my VM) that specifically states it.
Interesting related reading:
http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO (see the Availability section)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchCross (linked to from the above article. See Transition section)
GPML,