[Koha-devel] dselect non-funcitonal on Ubuntu

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Tue Oct 2 23:28:43 CEST 2012

At 02:53 PM 10/2/2012 -0300, Tomas Cohen Arazi wrote:
>On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Mark Tompsett <mtompset at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > The “good” thing about this bug is that it only affects people who
> do git or
> > tarball installs in a multi-arch environment. That is, it affects us as
> > developers, not really the average user of Koha who has hopefully been
> > transitioned to a package install.
>
>Any 'new' Ubuntu setup (amd64) is multiarch by default. All our
>desktops are +4GB RAM and run 64bit OS's. Is not that rare.
>
>Multiarch is set when writing in /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/multiarch the
>instruction to accept another architecture as foreign:
><code>
>foreign-architecture i386
></code>

And it appears to work well -- it will *not* install i386 packages without
'sudo apt-get install -f'  It just gives you a list of required
dependencies and a hint that you must use '-f'

The Debian/Ubuntu pro/cons of multiarch can be read either way.  Until
there is a catastrophic failure of apt-get combined with dselect I feel
that any capable admin would appreciate keeping them. Efficiency,
flexibility and warning levels are quite sufficient.

Best - Paul
Who has however found one "package" (in the loosest sense of the word) that
has the ability to either invisibly use the '-f' or circumvent it.  From
memory, in a *desktop* environment, if you don't want to use Unity, but go
for "Gnome 2 classic" with 'gnome-session-fallback' or somesuch, it will
install the i386 version of gcc and its libraries. You then can delete them
with no apparent ill effect. But this is the [non-damaging] exception to
prove the rule. Most current/new users of Koha will be using an AMD64 *server*.