[Koha-devel] dselect non-funcitonal on Ubuntu

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Oct 4 11:30:24 CEST 2012

To+ wrote:
> I vote for using another method for installing dependencies. I know its an
> overreaction, but I don't get the point of sticking to dselect anyway. If
> generating the deps list during install (read using a script for either
> triggering apt-get or printing it) is problematic, I'd rather provide qa'd
> copy and paste super big apt-get oneliner in the INSTALL.* files.

History suggests that text won't be kept as up-to-date as a something
that should be recreate-able from C4::Installer::PerlDependencies and
stubs at release time.  I first got involved with this project to
clean up the installation process.

The point of sticking to dpkg and "apt-get dselect-upgrade" is that
they seem to be the only way to load a packages file into the package
management system.  Amazing but I really can't find a way to do the
same with the currently-popular tools.

We could include a file.desc to copy to /usr/local/share/tasksel
and then tell people to run "sudo tasksel install koha".  Is tasksel
installed everywhere?

Or we could include a pseudopackage koha-common-dependencies, which
some other library software does, but I think that's frowned upon.

A script that generates long apt-get command lines seems a last resort.
Easy to mispaste long things or encounter problems like line length
limits with unexpected results.

Finally, teaching people to run "runme.sh" as root is a bad habit, so
I'd really like to avoid that.

Hope that helps,