[Koha-devel] OPAC themes

Martin Renvoize martin.renvoize at ptfs-europe.com
Fri Oct 5 10:34:34 CEST 2012

I'm not so sure about switching to bootstrap.. it's not as backwards
compatible as jQuery UI for older browsers... but it's an idea.

I would be tempted to use a css framwork though.. (may most of the
advatnages can come from using more features of template toolkit though..
someone stpe in and correct me if thats true).

SASS and LESS are both good css framework options.. giving you more
programatic type options within your style.

Another 2 cents for the pile ;)

On 5 October 2012 07:51, Julian Maurice <julian.maurice at biblibre.com> wrote:

> Le 04/10/2012 21:51, Owen Leonard a écrit :
>
>  The new CCSR theme which will be included in 3.10 demonstrates how a
>> theme can be made responsive, so that the design and layout of a page
>> can change depending on the device width.
>>
>> I think the "default" Koha OPAC should use this technique too.
>>
>> Making this kind of change gives us the opportunity to make other
>> changes too, and I'd love to hear from others about what changes those
>> might be, whether they be ideas about the design, layout, or
>> structure. Some ideas off the top of my head:
>>
>> - Use the Bootstrap framework both for the responsive CSS grid and for
>> the interface widgets (buttons, menus, etc)--but not be slavish to the
>> default Bootstrap design.
>> - Use consistent indentation rules on all templates
>> - Move JavaScript to the bottom of the page (recommended for efficiency)
>> - Address the needs of people who want to do customization via CSS and
>> JavaScript. To that end I'd love to hear from the people who are doing
>> customizations for libraries about their paint points--what aspects of
>> the OPAC are difficult to change.
>>
>> I'd like to start working on this, but I think to do it right I think
>> we need some shared goals.
>>
>>   -- Owen
>>

> - Use BLOCK, PROCESS and WRAPPER Template::Toolkit directives everywhere.
> I think this could greatly reduces the size of template files and make
> writing of templates much easier.
>

> My 2 cents.
>
> --
> Julian Maurice <julian.maurice at biblibre.com>