[Koha-devel] OPAC themes

Mason James mtj at kohaaloha.com
Fri Oct 5 11:26:07 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-5, at 9:34 PM, Martin Renvoize wrote:

> I'm not so sure about switching to bootstrap.. it's not as backwards compatible as jQuery UI for older browsers... but it's an idea.

3 reasons why jquery-ui is a no-go for Owen's Koha requirements...

1/ jquery-ui has no positioning functionality
2/ jquery-ui has no 'responsive' functionality
2/ jquery-ui forces developers to use javascript, not html for basic tasks

and, bootstrap has great backwards compatibility
 -> http://github.com/twitter/bootstrap/wiki/Browser-Compatibility

+1 for bootstrap

> I would be tempted to use a css framwork though.. (may most of the advatnages can come from using more features of template toolkit though.. someone stpe in and correct me if thats true).
>
> SASS and LESS are both good css framework options.. giving you more programatic type options within your style.
>
> Another 2 cents for the pile ;)
>
> On 5 October 2012 07:51, Julian Maurice <julian.maurice at biblibre.com> wrote:
> Le 04/10/2012 21:51, Owen Leonard a écrit :
>
> The new CCSR theme which will be included in 3.10 demonstrates how a
> theme can be made responsive, so that the design and layout of a page
> can change depending on the device width.
>
> I think the "default" Koha OPAC should use this technique too.
>
> Making this kind of change gives us the opportunity to make other
> changes too, and I'd love to hear from others about what changes those
> might be, whether they be ideas about the design, layout, or
> structure. Some ideas off the top of my head:
>
> - Use the Bootstrap framework both for the responsive CSS grid and for
> the interface widgets (buttons, menus, etc)--but not be slavish to the
> default Bootstrap design.
> - Use consistent indentation rules on all templates
> - Move JavaScript to the bottom of the page (recommended for efficiency)
> - Address the needs of people who want to do customization via CSS and
> JavaScript. To that end I'd love to hear from the people who are doing
> customizations for libraries about their paint points--what aspects of
> the OPAC are difficult to change.
>
> I'd like to start working on this, but I think to do it right I think
> we need some shared goals.
>
>   -- Owen
>

> - Use BLOCK, PROCESS and WRAPPER Template::Toolkit directives everywhere. I think this could greatly reduces the size of template files and make writing of templates much easier.
>

> My 2 cents.
>
> --
> Julian Maurice <julian.maurice at biblibre.com>
> BibLibre

> --
> Martin Renvoize
> Software Engineer, PTFS Europe Ltd
> Content Management and Library Solutions
> Skype:
> Mobile: 07725985636
>
> http://www.ptfs-europe.com

cheers, Mason