[Koha-devel] what about creating a new "opac-any" index in zebra

Linda lculber at mdah.state.ms.us
Wed Oct 24 17:06:37 CEST 2012

In my opinion, one of the  problems of creating an "opac-any" index in
zebra  is that many of the fields and subfileds in MARC are not meant to
be shown to the public, and indexing them confuses things. If they don't
appear in the opac, yet do appear in the search results, the patron is
left wondering why. There is also the problem that Koha doesn't have a
way of dealing with indicators,  such as the "traced" or "untraced" in
the 490, for example.  For a record that has minimal cataloging it may
not  be a problem, but with a fully cataloged record, it would pull up a
lot of false results. But that is just my 2 cents worth - admittedly not
worth much,  inflation considered.

Linda Culberson    lculber at mdah.state.ms.us
Miss. Dept. of Archives and History
Archives&  Records Services