[Koha-devel] what about creating a new "opac-any" index in zebra

Mathieu Saby mathieu.saby at univ-rennes2.fr
Wed Oct 24 17:27:31 CEST 2012

Linda a écrit :
> In my opinion, one of the  problems of creating an "opac-any" index in
> zebra  is that many of the fields and subfileds in MARC are not meant
> to be shown to the public, and indexing them confuses things. If they
> don't appear in the opac, yet do appear in the search results, the
> patron is left wondering why.

Hello Linda
I have given a bad name to my "opac-any". I should have said
"opac-just-the-fields-we-want-to-index"...
In the current record.abs, the index "any" is defined as "all any". So,
if I understand well, all the fields indexed in other indexes (title,
author, subject, notes,
Local-number,Identifier-standard,Country-heading, items, etc etc)
At least this is the way it works in Unimarc. Maybe not in Marc21 ?
So, for example, in my unimarc catalogue, if I search for "fre" in the
opac, I've got *342825 **results, *because it is the code for french
language in 101a field, index in "ln". gasp.
idem if I search for "lc" or "rameau" (equivalent to LCSH in France), or
"texte"
And with fuzzy or autotruncate activated, it is, well..., very very
annoying.

So my idea was
- to keep the "all any", because it could be usefull somewhere in Koha
perl code or templates
- to create a more specific index, matching only important field, but in
any event NOT matching coded fields and some boring notes...
- to use this index in opac simple search (and maybe in staff interface
simple search but this could be discussed...)

> There is also the problem that Koha doesn't have a way of dealing with
> indicators,  such as the "traced" or "untraced" in the 490, for
> example.  For a record that has minimal cataloging it may not  be a
> problem, but with a fully cataloged record, it would pull up a lot of
> false results. But that is just my 2 cents worth - admittedly not
> worth much,  inflation considered.

Completely agree with you for the indicators. I think it is less
important in unimarc, but that would be very useful if Zebra could
manage them :(

Regards,
Mathieu

--