[Koha-devel] Lets improve the Koha installation documentation

BWS Johnson abesottedphoenix at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 13:23:11 CEST 2012

Salvete!

>   (...or just delete the old doco)++

    Don't pick this option. Warn instead. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:User_warning_templates)

    As someone with deprecated documentation, on the few occasions when I return to clean things up, I count on my old doc being there as a starting point. Old documentation serves a historical purpose, too. I just read an academic article that cited work from 2003 for our project. Granted, that wasn't installation documentation, but it was good to see something from that long ago in the paper. It's useful to have archival versions of Koha and archival versions of the documentation so that folks can get a grasp of the progress that's been made. That said, there should definitely be warnings that folks are taking a trip down memory lane, and they should be redirected to the new versions.
    The most important reason to keep it round is that folks still use it, in especial people that are too hard pressed for cash to upgrade. Believe me, I die a little inside when someone contacts me at my school address, since I know that they're using one of the oldest forms of my Newbie Guide, but it happens with regularity. I of course redirect them to newer documentation. I'd like for people to install the newest shiniest version of Koha on the newest shiniest version of Debian, but unfortunately this just isn't the way a lot of people operate.

Cheers,
Brooke