[Koha-devel] LTS support (branching the "Koha numbering" thread)

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Fri Apr 5 17:50:36 CEST 2013

Paul (et.al.),

Maybe this could go into a different thread? I think is off-topic

Agreed.

[snip]

> A two year "LTS" cycle, with a further two years "support", plus one more
>> year of "not dropping off the edge of the world" works extremely well as a
>> policy principle, which I feel must be based upon a principle of "if it
>> ain't broke, don't fix it."

We are always looking for people willing to volunteer their time as release
maintainers. Please consider taking over the maintenance of Koha 3.6, as no
one else has stepped forward. Very few of the active developers are using
that version, much less 3.2 (which was released a bit less than 2.5 years
ago), and most don't get paid for all the time they spend filling the
volunteer roles for the Koha project. The elections for the 3.14 release
cycle were held on Wednesday, but if you send a message to the list
announcing your willingness to take on maintaining 3.6 I am sure that no
one would object. I, for one, really liked 3.6, and would love to see it
made available for libraries even more conservative than me (I used 3.6.x
until about a month ago, at which point I upgraded to 3.10.x, and I'll
probably go right to 3.12.1 in June).

> I belive LTS could be a good thing for Koha. The main problem is that the
> effort needs to be done by someone. The current way of handling this
> ("version XX will be deprecated unless someone steps in as release
> maintainer") is a good approach in this scenario. If an institution (or
> group of them) is not ready for a major version jump, they should sponsor
> the maintenance of their current version.

Agreed. You don't have to be an institution, either. If you are a single
person who thinks that 3.6 (or 3.4, or 3.2, or 3.0...) is the best version
out there, volunteer to be the Release Maintainer for that version. This
means reviewing new patches for relevant bugfixes/security fixes, and
answering any questions that might come up about functionality that has
changed in more recent versions.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/