[Koha-devel] Koha numbering

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Sun Apr 7 10:34:38 CEST 2013

On 7 April 2013 20:27, Mathieu Saby <mathieu.saby at univ-rennes2.fr> wrote:
> Hello
> Maybe you will not agree with me, but here is my personal opinion about
> release rythm : 6 month between each "major" release seems quite a short
> delay.
> In France we have libraries using 3.10 (I think only my library for the
> moment), 3.8, probably 3.6, 3.2 (with a lot of local changes).
> In some monthes, we will have libraries using 3.12, 3.10, 3.8 etc
>
> For a library a 6 month rythm means updating 2 times Koha each year. Before
> and after each change, you need to test the new version, to train
> colleagues, to update documentation, to signal new bugs to your vendor if
> you have one... You can do that if you have a big team, and the help of a
> vendor. This is not the case of all libraries...

Ahh but that is precisely why we support versions for at least a year,
for example we are releasing 3.8.12 in 15 days. So that libraries do
not have to upgrade every 6 months, they only do if they want the new
features, we release bug fix releases so that they can get the benefit
of those, without having to do a major upgrade.

So perhaps the real problem is one of communication, to negate the
perception you have to upgrade every feature release.

As for the other issues, making a bigger release doesn't change the
amount of work that has to be done, it just makes it all need to be
done in less time, ie the translation and testing and bugfixing gets
crammed in at the end.

Chris