[Koha-devel] Koha numbering

Katrin Fischer Katrin.Fischer.83 at web.de
Sun Apr 7 10:48:15 CEST 2013

Hi Mathieu,

you are right in that updating every half year is a lot of work, but the
good thing is, that you don't have to. We have libraries that are still
on 3.6.x now and we will probably update them directly to 3.12 sometime
this year.

The positive side on half year feature releases is that you can get to
use your sponsored enhancements quicker if you want to. Libraries don't
have to wait a full year worst case or even longer, if for whatever
reason their developments can't go into the very next release. As it
stands Koha changes a lot in short amounts of time. Our release notes
show that quite well and I think we should keep our cycle.

Translations are always a bit of a pain to do, that won't change with
different tools or different kinds of releases in my opinion. But the
bugfix releases don't introduce a lot of new strings. It's the big
releases that do and I think we wouldn't reduce work with longer release
cycles.

Katrin