[Koha-devel] Major surprise - "automatic" upgrade

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Sun Apr 28 16:41:38 CEST 2013

Paul,

I've looked at the code in cleanup_database.pl (and search.pl), and can't
> see any obvious reason to "redirect to Installer."
>
> So -- what has happened?  Can I dump the cleaned db back into production?
> What are the specific changes 3.8.5 to 3.8.10 that required "updating"?

The redirect is because you had a newer version of the code than the
database was run on. Koha doesn't have any support for automatic upgrades,
so I guess you must have untarred 3.8.10 at some point. The version is
shown in kohaversion.pl, not in file names.

You can take a look at the release notes for the versions between 3.8.5 and
3.8.10:
http://git.koha-community.org/gitweb/?p=koha.git;a=tree;f=misc/release_notes;h=fd4b7d4bf8f9d401c87878ec184593a078bb5a93;hb=3.8.x

Based on the "Update report" you shared, it doesn't look like there were
any actual database changes in between versions 3.8.5 and 3.8.10, but I
couldn't say that with certainty without checking (you can take a look at
the release notes linked above, and by reviewing the installer/data/mysql/
updatedatabase.pl file on the 3.8.10 installation). The update is trigged
whenever you have an older version of the database than the code, even if
there aren't any database changes at all, so the fact that the upgrade run
is not particularly significant. Most likely downgrading to 3.8.5 would not
cause any problems at all, even if there were database changes, but it's
always a good idea to check.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/