[Koha-devel] Major surprise - "automatic" upgrade

Mason James mtj at kohaaloha.com
Tue Apr 30 20:44:08 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-1, at 3:07 AM, Paul wrote:

> At 11:16 AM 4/30/2013 +1200, you wrote:
>
>> On 2013-04-30, at 9:38 AM, Paul wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Jared,

>> > Thanks for your reply, but this is worrisome. I had at {server}/ a tarred 3.8.10.  I had at {server}/home/paul/ an untarred 3.8.10 (for .dif purposes.)

>> > [see above] O.K. it's not "automatic" but it did in fact run automatically without my permission. I ran:
>>

>> for the record Paul, Koha is *designed* to do this very thing
>>
>> it forces the web-update page, if the database is older than the codebase (as yours is)
>>

>> this is a 'feature' to stop stupid humans from corrupting their Koha databases, when attempting to run mismatched codebases and db versions

> Tnx for the reply, but I fear you misunderstood.  The "automatic upgrade" I was referring to was from 3.8.5 to 3.8.10 (the whole Koha "system.")
>  The db update is by design and a very proper feature -- no surprise there.

> Best - Paul
>
> Tired old sys-admin

lol, no Paul - i do not 'misunderstand' anything here

hmmm, your 'automatic upgrade' was caused by...

  - you manually pointing your 3.8.5 Koha to a 3.8.10 codebase, (then forgetting you did that)

  - you manually logging-in as the Koha database user at the install/upgrade page

  - you manually clicking 'upgrade'

did i miss anything??