[Koha-devel] Searching apostrophes

Ian Bays ian.bays at ptfs-europe.com
Fri Aug 2 14:32:13 CEST 2013

Hi.
I know that searching terms with apostrophes has been problematic in the
past but we are now seeing a new level of problems and I wondered if
anyone has seen the same symptoms and has any advice or workarounds that
might help.

Searching  for an author such as O'Brien brings back almost the whole
catalogue if we have QueryAutoTruncate or QueryFuzzy or QueryStemming
switched on.
With them off:
If I search for O<space>Brien in the "simple search" box it brings back
all records with either O or Brien (far too many).
If I use Advanced Search> Author and search for O Brien then it returns
just those with O AND Brien in an author tag (close enough in this case).
If I use the "Library Catalog" pull-down to select "Author" and search
for O Brien it brings back all records with either O or Brien in an
author tag (too many).

We also have a problem with linking bibs to authorities which in
combination with this issue is giving major headaches.

If anyone has any pointers or knows how to get round or over this
problem I would love to hear from you.  More details on request...

We are using Zebra dom indexing and icu chains and are using Koha 3.12
on Debian.  We are not yet using QueryParser.  Sysprefs and Help > About
are here:

Sysprefs are:

+--------------------------+-------+
| variable                 | value |
+--------------------------+-------+
| IncludeSeeFromInSearches | 0     |
| QueryAutoTruncate        | 0     |
| QueryFuzzy               | 0     |
| QueryStemming            | 0     |
| QueryWeightFields        | 1     |
| TraceCompleteSubfields   | 0     |
| TraceSubjectSubdivisions | 0     |
| UseICU                   | 1     |
| UseQueryParser           | 0     |
+--------------------------+-------+

Koha> About:

Koha version:     3.12.01.000
OS version ('uname -a'):     Linux dclg.koha.ptfsadmin.uk0.bigv.io
3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.46-1 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Perl interpreter:     /usr/bin/perl
Perl version:     5.014002
Perl @INC:     /home/koha/kohaclone
/etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.14.2
/usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2
/usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/perl/5.14
/usr/share/perl/5.14
/usr/local/lib/site_perl
.
MySQL version:     mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.31, for debian-linux-gnu
(x86_64) using readline 6.2
Apache version:     Server version: Apache/2.2.22 (Debian)
Zebra version:     Zebra 2.0.55 (C) 1994-2013, Index Data ApS Zebra is
free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you are
conditions. SHA1 ID: bd2bc9360225e695bbaba2c2d1cd6925c4eb23a5 Using ICU

Many thanks folks.
Ian

--
Ian Bays
Director of Projects, PTFS Europe Limited
email: ian.bays at ptfs-europe.com