[Koha-devel] Searching apostrophes

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Fri Aug 2 17:46:56 CEST 2013

At 01:32 PM 8/2/2013 +0100, Ian Bays wrote:
>Hi.
>I know that searching terms with apostrophes has been problematic in the
>past but we are now seeing a new level of problems and I wondered if
>anyone has seen the same symptoms and has any advice or workarounds that
>might help.
>
>Searching  for an author such as O'Brien brings back almost the whole
>catalogue if we have QueryAutoTruncate or QueryFuzzy or QueryStemming
>switched on.
>With them off:
>If I search for O<space>Brien in the "simple search" box it brings back
>all records with either O or Brien (far too many).
>If I use Advanced Search> Author and search for O Brien then it returns
>just those with O AND Brien in an author tag (close enough in this case).
>If I use the "Library Catalog" pull-down to select "Author" and search for
>O Brien it brings back all records with either O or Brien in an author tag
>(too many).

Interesting... We have never had difficulties on 3.6 or 3.8 except that the
fuzziness of the *catalogue" search, rather than *author* can be
overwhelming (see
<http://opac.navalmarinearchive.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?idx=au&q=o%27brian>)

I'm wondering if your apostrophes are encoded correctly for UTF-8 (hex) 0x27 ?

Best - Paul