[Koha-devel] ping Koha (developers) community

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Thu Dec 19 16:39:12 CET 2013

Le 19/12/2013 06:53, Galen Charlton a écrit :
> As far as larger enhancements to the process -- the module
> maintainer project has been slow to get off the ground, but I'll be
> pushing more on it after the holidays.
+1

> Indeed.  Accountability is important to the process, and I agree
> that waiting for the next RM election is a bit long to wait.  So, no
> need to shut up -- but also please remember that simply making
> complaints is not necessarily the most productive way to go about
> offering a critique.
I've something to share here: I complain "a lot" on koha-devel. With a
very limited success in convincing others.
I was wondering why, and saw 2 possibilities: the 1st was my english,
the second was that I came with a description of the problem, a
suggested change/improvement/... , and, most of the time, the answers
were criticising my suggestion, instead of agreeing about the problem.

My conclusion was = maybe I'm wrong, and should just explain the
problem, not suggest a solution.
Was I wrong ?
About the problems Jonathan rised (and, as Jonathan boss, he showed me
the email before sending it), I endorse the fact that there were maybe
no suggested changes/improvements (or not enough). But it was not to be
criticizing only. Our (Joubu & I) hope was that we could first agree
that there was something to improve. Then find a way to improve it.

> There are no robots involved in the process of signing off, QAing, or
> pushing patches (and keeping that in mind is why, if I had a *lot*
> more money, I would be organizing in-person global hackfests at least
> once every quarter).
me too ;-)
Announcement = We're organizing one every year since 2011, the next one
will be in 2014, March, 10th - 14th (will announce it more visibly in a
separate mail in january)

> There is a practice on the #code4lib channel that I think is a good
> one: each year, during the conference, karma scores are zeroed out.
> At the risk of derailing this thread -- I'm inclined to do that at
> the beginning of 2014.  At Chris Cormack's request, I've zeroed his
> (and zeroed mine as well).
I was mostly kidding (and just wanted to express the fact that chris
karma, outside from IRC, is very far from "*all* you get is complains")

I'm completely fine with zeroing karmas every year.

--
Paul POULAIN - Associé-gérant
Tel : (33) 4 91 81 35 08