[Koha-devel] Amazon Cover Images

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Mon Feb 4 19:37:56 CET 2013

On Feb 5, 2013 7:14 AM, "Frédéric Demians" <frederic at tamil.fr> wrote:

> > This discussion assumes that AWS is still usable by libraries. My
> > understanding of the latest terms of AWS is that your application
> > must have as its primary purpose the sale of material from Amazon.
> > That's one of the reasons other Amazon API features were removed from
> > Koha.
>
> I agree. This is a question for a lawyer. If your assertion is true,
> Amazon book cover should be wiped out from Koha. With a decreasing
> number of match, Amazon book covers, as they are currently implemented,
> are more and more irrelevant.

Currently implemented we are within the terms of use,  and for some
collections Amazon provides ok coverage.  It's a syspref, people have to
turn them on, ripping it out when people are using them sounds like a bad
idea to me.

> Isn't Open Library the solution?

It's a solution, yes,  and people can turn that on, or syndetics, or ltfl,
or google or local covers, etc.

The enhancement I want to see is allowing a mix of sources. It's on
bugzilla but I can't remember the number.

Chris