[Koha-devel] Failed unit test

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Fri Jan 11 18:37:54 CET 2013

Paul,

OTOH: signing-off is checking that the feature works fine. It's the QA
> team that will be in charge to check unit tests.
> (Of course, if a patch contains a unit test itself, you should not
> signoff until you've successfully run it ;-) )

Signing off is both checking that a feature works and -- hopefully --
considering whether there are any bigger problems with it, such as
regressions, to the extent that the developer is able to do this. Unit
tests provide an easy way to test for regressions, which is why it's a good
idea to run them -- if not all of them, at least the relevant ones -- while
signing off. Obviously as RM I do not have the power to mandate that
everyone must run unit tests before signing off, nor would I want to, but I
will say that the more thorough the sign off, the more likely it is that I
will spend time on a patch. Patches with only a perfunctory sign off are
more likely to trigger my "one strike" rule (that's the rule that says the
first problem I encounter with a patch, no matter how minor, can get the
patch failed).

The QA team should also be running unit tests, of course, but the point of
the sign off/QA divide is that we want more eyes reviewing patches before
they go in. If the developer who signs off is running unit tests, I can
feel pretty confident that they didn't just add a "Signed-off-by" line
before uploading a patch.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/