[Koha-devel] Bug 8641

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Wed Jan 23 23:26:15 CET 2013

At 10:48 AM 1/24/2013 +1300, Robin Sheat wrote:
>Archives and Collections Society schreef op wo 23-01-2013 om 10:57
>[-0500]:
> > As far as I can see (using getent passwd | cut -d : -f 1 | xargs
> > groups)
>It's worth noting that there is absolutely, completely no relationship
>between UNIX system users and Koha or MySQL users. Never the twain shall
>meet.
>When you log in with your database username and database password (i.e.,
>the same thing you would use if you typed
>"mysql -u username -ppassword koha") then you are user 0. However, as
>user 0 doesn't have an entry in the borrowers database, anything that
>tries to look you up, or otherwise reference your record will get
>terribly confused.
>For our client Koha systems, I only ever user that user for doing quick
>and dirty things, changing some admin settings, looking at the state of
>something, creating initial borrowers. Anything more complex than that
>is likely to have conniptions.

Many thanks Robin -- that was what I had assumed, but confirmation is
always good to have. In fact, I have only ever used it to create the very
first "superlibrarian" [1] on a new install.

May I make a suggestion regarding the sign-off to this bug? (It seemed a
bit complex vis-a-vis translations, so I don't want to upset any apple
carts.) It might be a good idea to add a para to the INSTALL files
(general, Debian, Ubuntu, whatever) to alert people before they get the
opportunity to click on "About Koha." I've had a quick look at various 3.8
and 3.10 .tar files and don't find anything.

[1] Re: 'borrower' permissions. What's the difference between flag "1"
(plain superlibrarian) and flag '261887' (super librarian with all boxes
checked)?  Is it necessary to check the boxes?

Again tnx and br,
Paul