[Koha-devel] anyone have plans to update Koha's MARC21 framework?

Mason James mtj at kohaaloha.com
Mon Jun 3 22:54:14 CEST 2013

On 2013-06-2, at 1:45 PM, Bernardo Gonzalez Kriegel wrote:

> Hey Mason,
> I attached 2 files with all tags/subtags of LOC as of today.
> I wrote a script to download all relevant LOC pages and parse tags/subtags
>
> I have a script that check in database if a tag/subtag is present or has a different
> legend in liblabrarian/libopac. But the result must be inserted by hand :-(

awesome!. could you put these scripts on a git repo on the web?

> I tried to write a script to update the SQL file directly, but failed until now.
> Another possibility I tested today is update directly in the database and
> then use a touched dump to regenerate framework files.
>
> We need an automated way to update bibs and authority framework,

yeah, we really do…
good news is…  from LOC's ecbdlist.html page, it's possible to auto-build a correct default fwrk (i think)
  http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdlist.html

i have been thinking about using pootle to handle string translations in the frameworks, too

so, we have 2 tasks...

1/ a script to build a default MARC21 framework from LOC's ecbdlist.html file
2/ translate default framework strings to various languages via a .po file

> but right now I'm stuck with the update of pootle (in translate.k-c)
>
> Perhaps you can do it :-)
> If I can be of any assistance, I'll be glad.

i cant promise anything soon, but i'll see what i can do

> PS:
> 1) Why we use tag legends in uppercase?, I hate that

yep, me too. this is a bug

> 2) In SQL file, numbered subtags comes before character ones, in LOC pages the other way

yes, i noticed that too :)
i think the important thing is the order that they are display to the user

but... Koha's displays this in the wrong order?, so... another bug?

> 	3) In many tag legends we use 2 dashes '--' as separator, in LOC pages only one dash '-'

yes, another bug :)