[Koha-devel] RFC: Convergence

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Jun 27 00:35:02 CEST 2013

Tomas Cohen Arazi schreef op wo 26-06-2013 om 11:31 [-0300]:
> My proposal is that koha-* commands shouldn't be Debian (.deb)
> specific.

There are a number of assumptions that the scripts make about being in a
Debian-y environment, particularly how the init scripts work, location
of lock files, how apache wants to be configured, and stuff like that.
These aren't insurmountable, but awareness is needed.

There are also some non-perl dependencies that it expects (like
xmlstarlet) but these could be tested for.

You'll also have to account for people moving from the current tarball
style to a package-like layout, that'll cause some headaches.

OK, so those are the downsides I can see, this said, I think it's still
a good idea. It annoys me a lot when a patch breaks the packages, so
having a closer workflow would reduce the incidence of that happening.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.