[Koha-devel] RFC: Convergence

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 15:50:00 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Robin Sheat <robin at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:

> Tomas Cohen Arazi schreef op wo 26-06-2013 om 11:31 [-0300]:
> > My proposal is that koha-* commands shouldn't be Debian (.deb)
> > specific.
>
> There are a number of assumptions that the scripts make about being in a
> Debian-y environment, particularly how the init scripts work, location
> of lock files, how apache wants to be configured, and stuff like that.
> These aren't insurmountable, but awareness is needed.
> There are also some non-perl dependencies that it expects (like
> xmlstarlet) but these could be tested for.

I agree, those need to be addresed. Basically RHEL/CentOS/XSuSE don't have
the a2{en|dis}{mod|site} commands available.

> You'll also have to account for people moving from the current tarball
> style to a package-like layout, that'll cause some headaches.

I agree, the move tarball > packages for meant deploying a new server for
us to make the transition.

OK, so those are the downsides I can see, this said, I think it's still
> a good idea. It annoys me a lot when a patch breaks the packages, so
> having a closer workflow would reduce the incidence of that happening.

I belive everyone would benefit from such a move. With good planning and
lead we can do it.
Regards
To+