[Koha-devel] QA: Question on feature freeze

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Wed Mar 27 15:37:06 CET 2013

Marcel,

While we are in feature freeze now, do we still qa all patches or only
> those marked as bug fixes?
>
> It seems to me that if patches will be put on hold, we should not qa them
> too early?
>
> You can, of course, QA everything, but my suggestion would be to start
with bugs, and only QA enhancements/new features if the urge strikes you
and the backlog of bugs has been dealt with. Obviously when we branch
3.12.x the rules will change slightly, since the RM for 3.14 will have
discretion to push enhancements and new features (though I hope that s/he
will privilege bug fixes until 3.12.0 is out the door).

Aside from that, the distinction between a bug fix and some small
> enhancements may be quite arbitrary. Say that I miss field A on report 1
> and it is listed on report 2, is adding that field a bug fix or an
> enhancement? (Many other examples may be given.) Do we follow the author of
> the patch here, or can we define "bug" more clearly ?

In your example, that would be a bug fix because the interface is now
inconsistent and/or does not do what it claims. Unfortunately, I do not
have a clearer definition of a bug. My rule of thumb is that if I'm not
sure, it's an enhancement, unless I've gotten a lot of complaints about the
issue the patch addresses, in which case it's a bug fix. I suppose a good
way to look at it would be to to ask yourself if you would be willing to
argue that a particular patch is a bugfix. If you would be, chances are
I'll accept it as such without any need for argument.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/