[Koha-devel] Major surprise - "automatic" upgrade

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Wed May 1 00:10:13 CEST 2013

At 06:44 AM 5/1/2013 +1200, Mason James wrote:
[snip]
>lol, no Paul - i do not 'misunderstand' anything here

I'm not laughing, I'm "a little worried."

>hmmm, your 'automatic upgrade' was caused by...
>
>   - you manually pointing your 3.8.5 Koha to a 3.8.10 codebase, (then
> forgetting you did that)

No. (and despite my advancing years, not only is my memory way above
average, but I keep notes of everything I do. On this particular box, I did
a wget for the tarball to /home/paul/, tar xvfz'ed to /home/paul/, and
cp'ed the .gz to / with the unfulfilled intention of upgrading, all on 23
Feb this year.)

>   - you manually logging-in as the Koha database user at the
> install/upgrade page

No. I was logged in as user=koha to run './cleanup_database.pl --zebraqueue
-v', *not* at any "install" page.

>   - you manually clicking 'upgrade'

No. Or rather, upgrade what?

For an upgrade 3.8.5 ==> 3.8.10, categorically "No."

After running './cleanup_database.pl --zebraqueue -v', neither the OPAC nor
the staff/8080 interface was available. My only way forward was a
"staff/8080" login as user=koha and agree to "Web installer › Step 3:
update your database" -- note *database*, nothing about version.

>Did i miss anything??

Yes. Using '-v' with cleanup_database.pl was not verbose. It was totally
silent on version upgrade, only advised:
koha at hardy:/usr/share/koha/bin/cronjobs$ ./cleanup_database.pl --zebraqueue -v
Zebraqueue purge triggered for 30 days.
131575 records were deleted.
Done with zebraqueue purge.

Yes. I was operating as user=koha to run cleanup_database.pl. The fact is
that the Koha version went from 3.8.5 to 3.8.10 without my permission.

Yes. user=koha has the permissions to upgrade versions, but why does
cleanup_database.pl (specifically the '--zebraqueue -v' option) upgrade
versions at the same time?

I truly appreciate your reply. But your suggestion that I "manually" did
one of the three points you raised is untrue. Did the version upgrade
happen? Yes. Did user=koka have the rights? Yes. Was I given any warning?
No. Is there any reason why cleanup_database.pl should have anything to do
with upgrading versions? That is my question. It did it. It's reproducible
on my sandbox (and I'd be interested if others can confirm/deny.)

Best -- Paul

---
Maritime heritage and history, preservation and conservation,
research and education through the written word and the arts.
<http://NavalMarineArchive.com> and <http://UltraMarine.ca>