[Koha-devel] Major surprise - "automatic" upgrade

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Wed May 1 00:20:20 CEST 2013

There is no way, no way at all that running cleanup_database.pl did
the upgrade. It didn't.
The only way you would get the webpage telling you your db needed
updating is because the code is different to the db.
This means your Koha was pointing to the 3.8.10 code. Not the 3.8.5 one.

This can only happen if you untarred the code over top of your 3.8.5,
or ran make upgrade, or edited your koha-conf.xml and apache config to
point at the new code.

None of this was caused by you running cleanup_database.pl, That is a
red herring.

So by you logging into the web installer and telling it to update your
db, you updated your db, you untarring the 3.8.10 and somehow
switching your koha site to use that (one of the ways above) you were
running 3.8.10 which triggered the screen telling you you needed to
upgrade your db to match.

None of this was automatic and I repeat none of this was caused by
cleanup_database.pl.

This will also be my last message on this subject, but I can not leave
the thread with the assertion that somehow running cleanup_database.pl
downloaded a tarball, untarred it, ran make upgrade, and then logged
into your koha installer page with the db user and clicked update
database. It didn't.

If you really didn't do it yourself, then yes, the only other
conclusion is you were/are hacked by someone who likes to upgrade Koha

Chris