[Koha-devel] biblio and biblioitems

Mathieu Saby mathieu.saby at univ-rennes2.fr
Fri May 3 16:53:26 CEST 2013

Galen Charlton a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 6:20 AM, Mathieu Saby
> <mathieu.saby at univ-rennes2.fr> wrote:
>
>> Thank you.
>> So, just to know, do you think it would be
>> 1. - a total waste of time ?
>> 2. - a strange idea ?
>> 3. - a good idea (for performance and code maintenance) ?
>> 4. - harmful ?
>>
>> to merge the biblio and biblioitem tables ?
>>

> My gut feeling is #3, but a lot of testing would be needed to avoid
> #4.  Possibly one way to reduce risk and improve testability would be
> to move columns over to biblio one at a time.
>
> Here are a couple additional thoughts if we undertake this:
>
> [1] We should decide whether we want to keep both bibilioitems.marc
> and biblioitems.marcxml.  I think we can get rid of the former.
>
> [2] Even if we merge the tables, I think we should still keep the
> marcxml column in its own table, e.g., one called biblio_metadata:
>
> CREATE TABLE biblio_metadata (
>    biblio_metadata_id INTEGER NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT; -- for the future!
>    biblionumber INTEGER,
>    metadata_type VARCHAR(10), -- for the future!
>    blob LONGTEXT NOT NULL,
>    -- and relevant FK contraints
> );
>
> The bits about slipping in multi-metadata-schema support aside, for
> many queries there's no reason to pull in largish XML columns.

Maybe the problem is the way some subs are written, getting all the
columns of biblio and biblioitems ?
If they do not contain SELECT * but SELECT a,b,c,d..., is it necessary
to put marcxml in an other table ?

I know quite nothing in SQL, so excuse me if it is a bad question...

M. Saby

--
Mathieu Saby
Service d'Informatique Documentaire