[Koha-devel] a suggestion for signing-off patches?

Mason James mtj at kohaaloha.com
Fri May 3 20:18:11 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-4, at 5:01 AM, Galen Charlton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, May 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Mason James <mtj at kohaaloha.com> wrote:
>> when signing off patches, could we agree to make it compulsory for people to add a quick comment
>> to either the bug ticket, (or to the patch itself)?
>>
>> it just needs to be a few words, like 'works great!', or 'tested ok', etc...
>>
>> what do people think?
>
> The act of signing off should _already_ have the meaning and
> expectation that the person signing off on it has tested it.  If
> somebody has signed off on a patch, there isn't necessarily anything
> more to communicate that the Bugzilla status change and Signed-off-by
> line in the patch don't already signal.
>
> Why make an additional comment compulsory?  What specific problem
> would this solve?

hmm, its just a reassurance/confirmation thing really...

i find it reassuring when QA-ing a bug, to have someone say explicitly that they have tested that patch
considering how quick it is to make a sign-off comment, i think its worth the extra effort (just my opinion)

thats the only real reason :)

it also reduces the possibility that people might accidentally sign-off a patch, *without* testing that patch