[Koha-devel] OPAC dir structure redesign

Mason James mtj at kohaaloha.com
Mon May 6 10:08:15 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-6, at 5:42 PM, Katrin Fischer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I agree that maintaining 2 themes is a bit harder to do in Koha
> development,

> but I am not sure this necessarily means we have to remove
> functionality that could be quite useful for some Koha projects.
>
> Couldn't we keep the functionality and still decide to only officially
> support one theme in releases?

I'm just going to say this..
we have already make this mistake a few times now with Koha and themes

afaik, Koha has had at least 3 previous themes, using the current directory structure

ensuring that those previous theme files were maintained and correct proved to be an impossible task, and all of those themes were eventually removed

i am certain if we don't fix this problem, for this cycle of themes - the same fate will occur again...

> Katrin

>> as Jared mentioned to me, a simple way of describing what i am suggesting is...
>>
>> we eliminate the existing themes functionality that allows for differing templates between themes and replace it with CSS-only themes and customized images
>>

>> the reason why i think we sound do this is to reduce the maintenance problems that we have had historically

cheers, Mason
--
KohaAloha, NZ