[Koha-devel] OPAC dir structure redesign

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Mon May 6 10:13:43 CEST 2013

On 6 May 2013 20:08, Mason James <mtj at kohaaloha.com> wrote:

> On 2013-05-6, at 5:42 PM, Katrin Fischer wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I agree that maintaining 2 themes is a bit harder to do in Koha
>> development,
>
>> but I am not sure this necessarily means we have to remove
>> functionality that could be quite useful for some Koha projects.
>>
>> Couldn't we keep the functionality and still decide to only officially
>> support one theme in releases?
>

> I'm just going to say this..
> we have already make this mistake a few times now with Koha and themes
>
> afaik, Koha has had at least 3 previous themes, using the current directory structure
>
> ensuring that those previous theme files were maintained and correct proved to be an impossible task, and all of those themes were eventually removed
>

> i am certain if we don't fix this problem, for this cycle of themes - the same fate will occur again...

I disagree, the problem has not ever been, nor is it, a technical one.
Just because we can support themes that include differing xslt,
includes has never meant we had to.
I agree that having only one officially supported template is a good
thing, however I don't agree with making it impossible to let people
do it.

So +1 for only one supported theme, -1 for trying to achieve that by
technical means, just make a policy and stick to it .. problem solved.
Then those of us who use the themes locally can not have a feature
ripped out from under us.

Chris