[Koha-devel] Major surprise - "automatic" upgrade

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Tue May 7 16:51:18 CEST 2013

Robin, many thanks. Just for the "completeness" of the archives, a few
comments|answers below:

At 05:13 PM 5/7/2013 +1200, Robin Sheat wrote:
[snip]
> > cat /usr/share/koha/misc/koha-install-log | grep KOHA_INSTALLED_VERSION
> > KOHA_INSTALLED_VERSION=3.08.10.000
>
>This isn't the best way to see what version you have. Also, there are
>only two places in Koha that reference this file: the Makefile and
>koha-conf.xml (and nothing refers to the key that is in it, except (I
>think) for the Makefile.)

Agreed - and neither seem to mention version at all, relying purely on the
log (which is why, perhaps over-simplistically, I cat'ed the log.

>The best way to check is to look in kohaversion.pl, which is in the root
>of your koha installation. That tells you about the exact version of the
>code that is running.

sub kohaversion {
     our $VERSION = '3.08.10.000';
     # version needs to be set this way  /.../
instead of previous:
sub kohaversion {
     our $VERSION = '3.08.05.000';
     # version needs to be set this way /.../

>[snip] I suspect you may have more than one,

No - it gets overwritten (new file dated as per the tarball.)

>make sure you check
>that you are using the same one as both the apache configuration, the
>location of the cleanup_database.pl you run, and the paths reflected in
>the koha-conf.xml that you are using, [snip]

Yup - all is consistent

>In a nutshell, the only way this could possibly happen, afaict, is if
>something is finding the untarred archive in '/' and running 'make' in
>there.

That's exactly the problem ..., but further it would have had to run
'Makefile.PL --prev-install-log /path/to/koha-install-log'

>This doesn't seem like a thing that anything in Koha would do. In
>a quick test, I couldn't make it happen.

And I had never seen it before ...

Again, thanks and best regards,
Paul