[Koha-devel] Major surprise - "automatic" upgrade

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Tue May 7 21:22:27 CEST 2013

On 8 May 2013 02:51, Paul <paul.a at aandc.org> wrote:
> Robin, many thanks. Just for the "completeness" of the archives, a few
> comments|answers below:
>
> At 05:13 PM 5/7/2013 +1200, Robin Sheat wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> > cat /usr/share/koha/misc/koha-install-log | grep KOHA_INSTALLED_VERSION
>> > KOHA_INSTALLED_VERSION=3.08.10.000
>>
>> This isn't the best way to see what version you have. Also, there are
>> only two places in Koha that reference this file: the Makefile and
>> koha-conf.xml (and nothing refers to the key that is in it, except (I
>> think) for the Makefile.)
>

> Agreed - and neither seem to mention version at all, relying purely on the
> log (which is why, perhaps over-simplistically, I cat'ed the log.
>

>> The best way to check is to look in kohaversion.pl, which is in the root
>> of your koha installation. That tells you about the exact version of the
>> code that is running.
>

> sub kohaversion {
>     our $VERSION = '3.08.10.000';
>     # version needs to be set this way  /.../
> instead of previous:
> sub kohaversion {
>     our $VERSION = '3.08.05.000';
>     # version needs to be set this way /.../
>
>> [snip] I suspect you may have more than one,
>

> No - it gets overwritten (new file dated as per the tarball.)
>

> That's exactly the problem ..., but further it would have had to run
> 'Makefile.PL --prev-install-log /path/to/koha-install-log'

No, as you wrote above, you replaced your 3.8.5 code with 3.8.10.

Then you ran the webinstaller to upgrade the database.

All of this has absolutely nothing to do with the clean up script, its
all to do with you replacing the 3.8.5 code with 3.8.10, ie upgrading
it. The make upgrade would do that copy, but you did it yourself.

>> This doesn't seem like a thing that anything in Koha would do. In
>> a quick test, I couldn't make it happen.
>

> And I had never seen it before ...

And you never will again, unless you go around replacing a version of
the code with a newer version of the code.

Chris