[Koha-devel] Continue maintenance of 3.8?

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Sun Nov 3 23:35:13 CET 2013

Paul A schreef op ma 04-11-2013 om 05:19 [-0400]:
> Never used git; I have googled, and found the official [?] manual at
> <http://git-scm.com/docs/user-manual.html>, but you may have other
> suggestions. I'll try and clone the Koha git repository (if that's
> the
> correct expression) over the next little while and let you know how I
> get on.

To steal a quote, git is user-friendly, it's just picky about who its
friends are.

I'd start here:
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Version_Control_Using_Git

and also the user manual you mention. RM stuff will probably require
more advanced knowledge and familiarity with git than is just in the
wiki page. This will probably take some time, but as soon as you get a
good mental model of how it works, things become easier. (The pure
mathematics PhD ought to help here: it's really all just operations on
acyclic directed graphs.)

Knowing the patching workflow and how git works with that would be
hugely beneficial though.

Additionally, there won't be so much to do for 3.8, so you'll have
plenty of time to get used to it.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.