[Koha-devel] Roundtable on SAX Parser settings.

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 5 18:46:11 CET 2013

Greetings,

In various discussions on IRC, and in installation instructions, it seems
apparent there is a lack of consistency and continuity in how SAX Parser
settings should or should not be set or if another solutions, like requiring
the latest MARC::File::XML, are the way to go and how should they be
implemented.

In the beginning, I read something like:
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_ubuntu_-_tarball#Test_to_make_sure_the_SAX_Parser_is_setup_correctly
It was less clear and flushed out, but that was it.

While tinkering around, I discovered something more like:
    sudo update-perl-sax-parsers --remove XML::LibXML::SAX::Parser
    sudo update-perl-sax-parsers --priority 100 --add
XML::LibXML::SAX::Parser
    sudo update-perl-sax-parsers --update
But didn't write it down, until tcohen did recently. :)

Meanwhile, I noticed that all mention of it disappeared from documentation,
though admittedly, I had started looking at Debian pages on the wiki and
comparing them to the Ubuntu ones and cross-referencing to the
INSTALL.ubuntu and INSTALL.debian files. INSTALL.debian still has references
to SAX. INSTALL.ubuntu does not.

Various conversations were held on IRC (MARC::File::XML, SAX Parser,
libmarc-xml-perl):
http://irc.koha-community.org/koha/2013-08-27#i_1372615
http://irc.koha-community.org/koha/2013-10-09#i_1400791
http://irc.koha-community.org/koha/2013-10-21#i_1407388
http://irc.koha-community.org/koha/2013-11-05#i_1416936
Ancient, but perhaps interesting reference material:
http://irc.koha-community.org/koha/2010-03-31#i_417908

In these conversations, some have suggested CPAN'ing the MARC::File::XML.
Though, the ancient link does suggest a useful apt-get way to grab from a
different distribution (which is better than the wget, dpkg -I methodology I
have used).

So, there are few questions:
1) Is this still an issue?
2) If so, how do we solve it best?
3) If not, why is it no longer an issue?

Hopefully, I am not discussing a dead horse, and have just not gotten the
full update.

GPML,
Mark Tompsett