[Koha-devel] Roundtable on SAX Parser settings.

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 19:23:28 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Mark Tompsett <mtompset at hotmail.com> wrote:

> In the beginning, I read something like:
> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_ubuntu_-_
> tarball#Test_to_make_sure_the_SAX_Parser_is_setup_correctly
> It was less clear and flushed out, but that was it.

This all became a subject for discussion when I run sax_parser_test.pl on
our packages-driven production server. I was impressed that it would saying
PurePerl was the current SAX parser. I remembered this being the cause of
several nightmares discussed on IRC and the official lists (even koha-es).

So I became aware of this and changed the wiki so we ask people to do for
packages the exact thing we do for tarball installs. i.e. I proposed
running this three lines

   sudo update-perl-sax-parsers --remove XML::LibXML::SAX::Parser
>    sudo update-perl-sax-parsers --priority 100 --add
> XML::LibXML::SAX::Parser
>    sudo update-perl-sax-parsers --update

I was even about to post that as a patch for the debian install scripts.
And then Galen told mtompset and I that the new MARC::File::XML version
didn't rely on SAX anymore, so we wouldn't need to do that.

If that solves the whole SAX parser problem I'd ask Robin to add the latest
version to our repos and remove any reference to this from the (3.12.x
 onwards) stable releases docs.

The question would be: is this (handling MARCXML) the only piece of code
that depends on properly set the SAX parser?

BTW, I have to insist that IMHO all the install-related documentation
should refer to the stable branches and avoid confusing the users. So,
until we make a desicion on this we should not make references to things we
do for the current master.

So, there are few questions:
> 1) Is this still an issue?

I think it is, and went unnoticed a while ago, for packages.

> 2) If so, how do we solve it best?

+1 for pushing MARC::File::XML into our repo, if there are no others pieces
of code that rely on having the expected SAX parser set as default; in
which case I'd just add the referred lines to the docs so packages users
set the Debian/Ubuntu SAX parser properly.

3) If not, why is it no longer an issue?

I hope it isn't.

Regards
To+

--