[Koha-devel] Default indexing and search options for 3.14

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Thu Oct 24 16:44:09 CEST 2013

Hi,

I would like to have a discussion regarding making certain options the
default for new installations of Koha 3.14 and deprecating other options.
 Here's the list of proposals:

Enable DOM mode by default for both bibs and authorities

Now that MARC21, NORMARC, and UNIMARC have DOM indexing configurations
available, this is now possible.

Deprecating the GRS-1 filter

Giving that DOM has significant advantages of GRS-1 in its flexibility, and
as the DOM filter would be required for non-MARC metadata support by Zebra,
I propose that we announce a deprecation of the GRS-1 configuration with it
to be removed by 3.16.  I foresee several features coming down the pike for
3.16 that would require a reindexing during upgrade anyway, so switching to
DOM for 3.16 would not impose a burden that wouldn't be present anyway.

Enable QueryParser by default

Bug 10542 might be a blocker for this, and doing something about bug 10831
would be nice in order to do this.

Deprecating non-QueryParser mode

Removing the non-QueryParser code would go a long way towards easing the
rewrite of C4::Search.

Enable ICU by default
-------------------------------

This was discussed during hackfest.  One precondition I see is that bug
10729 would have to pass QA

Regards,

Galen
--