[Koha-devel] Default indexing and search options for 3.14

Ian Bays ian.bays at ptfs-europe.com
Thu Oct 24 17:32:10 CEST 2013

Hi.
Going forward we expect to use DOM and ICU with MARC21.  Broadly we are
getting good behaviour.  However at present searching authorities gives
the same results for "starts with" and "contains".  On some
installations we have that are older versions of zebra and Koha and
probably not using DOM or ICU the two authority searches do give results
that are more-expected.
Colin has been trying to track down why "starts with" is treated the
same as "contains", but it would be good to have this resolved so we are
improving searching for all and not breaking existing functions.  If
anyone can shine any light on this problem or a solution that would be
most helpful.
+1 for the roadmap.

Ian

On 24/10/2013 15:44, Galen Charlton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to have a discussion regarding making certain options the
> default for new installations of Koha 3.14 and deprecating other
> options.  Here's the list of proposals:
>
> Enable DOM mode by default for both bibs and authorities
>
> Now that MARC21, NORMARC, and UNIMARC have DOM indexing configurations
> available, this is now possible.
>
> Deprecating the GRS-1 filter
>
> Giving that DOM has significant advantages of GRS-1 in its
> flexibility, and as the DOM filter would be required for non-MARC
> metadata support by Zebra, I propose that we announce a deprecation of
> the GRS-1 configuration with it to be removed by 3.16.  I foresee
> several features coming down the pike for 3.16 that would require a
> reindexing during upgrade anyway, so switching to DOM for 3.16 would
> not impose a burden that wouldn't be present anyway.
>
> Enable QueryParser by default
>
> Bug 10542 might be a blocker for this, and doing something about
> bug 10831 would be nice in order to do this.
>
> Deprecating non-QueryParser mode
>
> Removing the non-QueryParser code would go a long way towards easing
> the rewrite of C4::Search.
>
> Enable ICU by default
> -------------------------------
>
> This was discussed during hackfest.  One precondition I see is that
> bug 10729 would have to pass QA
>
> Regards,
>
> Galen
> --
> Galen Charlton
> Manager of Implementation
> Equinox Software, Inc. / The Open Source Experts
> email: gmc at esilibrary.com <mailto:gmc at esilibrary.com>
> direct: +1 770-709-5581
> cell:   +1 404-984-4366
> skype:  gmcharlt
> web: http://www.esilibrary.com/
> Supporting Koha and Evergreen: http://koha-community.org &
> http://evergreen-ils.org

Ian Bays
Director of Projects, PTFS Europe Limited
+44 (0) 800 756 6803 (phone)
+44 (0) 7774 995297 (mobile)
+44 (0) 800 756 6384 (fax)
skype: ian.bays