[Koha-devel] OPAC theme defaults for 3.14

Naval Marine Archive paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Thu Oct 24 21:35:28 CEST 2013

At 08:04 AM 10/24/2013 -0700, it was written:
>I propose that the Bootstrap OPAC theme be made the installation default
>for 3.14, and that we announce deprecation of the prog and CCSR themes at
>the same time [snip] I don't think we have enough people to successfully
>maintain both prog and Bootstrap. [snip]

The first mention I can find for "bootstrap" is bug 10309 and is less than
six months old: "I started the redesign by throwing out everything in
opac.css and starting from scratch..."

I'm not sure what exactly is meant by "bootstrap" in the Koha context (in
years gone by I did occasionally get involved in programming bootstrap
hardware which were independent boxes for starting-up main-frames)
particularly as regards continuity. We spent quite some time getting our
OPAC to "look the way we wanted it" -- basically a seamless continuation of
our main website -- and when we upgrade Koha next year I'd like to thing
that we don't have to totally reinvent the wheel.

Is it possible to point me towards an overview of what is being suggested?
What is being "deleted" and what is being "added"? I can only guess "start
from zero."

As a possible non-sequitur, a W3 css verification of one of our OPAC pages
comes up with 256 "errors", all of them, as far as I can see, from .yui
style sheets. So there is most probably enormous room for improvement.

Many thanks and best regards,
Paul