[Koha-devel] OPAC theme defaults for 3.14

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Mon Oct 28 18:16:10 CET 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Philippe Blouin <
philippe.blouin at inlibro.com> wrote:

> I hope everyone understands that a new default theme would *only* affect
> new installations, and that the old themes would continue to be maintained
> and available until the agreed deprecation time.
>
> We have worked with two available themes for a while now. We can work with
> three for as long as necessary. I just hope it not necessary for long.
>
> That's the thing, I got fixes in the pipeline that only modify the /prog/
> path.  Will I need to redo them all for the other path?  How has the RM
> been managing these situations in 3.13->3.14 ?

Thus far I have been writing and pushing follow-ups patches in cases where
it was obvious how a patch written for prog should be applied to the
Bootstrap theme.  If a patch is too complicated to do that, most of the
time I will push the prog patch and open a bug for the corresponding change
to be made for Bootstrap.  However, I anticipate that during the 3.16 cycle
there may be cases where a major piece of functionality added to prog may
need to be held back until a Bootstrap implementation is available,
although I will assist in minimizing the number of times that happens.

> And for the future, if I hear that bootstrap is THE solution, we'll code
> only for it, and offer only bootstrapt fixes for the master.  Mind you, I
> don't even know how different is bootstrap code from /prog/, but a +20% in
> dev time + doubling the testing time (very rough estimate) to get two paths
> out can kill our community budget, so maintaining two versions it probably
> out of our reach for us.

For new work, I recommend coding for Bootstrap first.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton